Birchbox Canada March 2015 + Cancellation

12:54 PM

_DSC0013
What I received:
  • beautyblender + mini solid cleanser (Full Size $26)
  • Harvey Prince Ageless - Pink Grapefruit (Full Size $62 - Sample value around $3.71)
  • Number 4™ Hydrating Shampoo (Full Size $39 - Sample value around $3.28)
  • Paula’s Choice RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer with Retinol (Full Size $29 - Sample value $10.58)
  • Mirenesse Mattfinity Lip Rouge in New York (Full Size $29 - Sample value $7.07)
Price: $10 cdn a month plus $4.95 shipping
Value: This value this month was just over $50. Just over half of that was because of the beauty blender.
Opinion:  I enjoyed this box more than the other boxes I've received but a big part of that is the beauty blender. I also liked trying out the Mirenesse lip rouge even if the colour wasn't my favourite. I still don't think we should be receiving perfume samples in boxes unless they're extras since you can easily get those for free.  The shampoo and Moisturizer may be useful but are not something I'm particularly excited about.
The big plus for Birchbox is it's point system. You earn $5 worth of points each month (if you review your box) which you can spend in their online store. You can only redeem them in $10 intervals so if you have $25 worth of credit you can only use $20 or wait until you reach $30. The points do add up fast and the U.S seems to offer deals where you get extra points from time to time which I have yet to see in Canada. You also get charged duty and extra shipping which takes away from your points when you spend. You need at least $10 worth of points just to cover shipping and extra charges.
Why I cancelled: I personally have yet to receive a Birchbox I wasn't disappointed in. Yes, this box had a Beauty Blender but the fact that it was announced makes it very clear that they were trying to keep unhappy subscribers on board and attract some new people who hadn't heard great things. I feel the value of a typical box is very low compared to other services and the brands are extremely repetitive. I also find that I don't use many of the samples compared to other boxes.
Even the the points earned to spend in the store come with a catch. Any item that you didn't receive in box costs $7.95 for shipping and every order has an additional "International Shipping Fee".
For Canadians: This is Birchbox Canada but the products received seem to be the same ones US subscribers have received in past boxes. The extra $4.95 makes it seem less of good of a deal than it is for US subscribers. The store also ends up being more expensive because of the extra money you have to put out for shipping and duties.
Grade: B
You can check out Birchbox HERE.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images